THUNDER BAY BASKETEERS
“Baskets of Hope”
Assisting Women in New Beginnings
Royal LePage Lannon Realty and the Basketeers Program would like to thank the 100 + businesses and people that donated this year.
We are proud to announce that we had an amazing total of 134 baskets to help Faye Peterson House, Beendigen and Hope House managed by Adult and Teen Challenge.
Over the last 9 years over 794 baskets have been collected raising an estimated value of $198,000!
We would like to express a huge Thank You to our sponsors, AMJ Campbell Vanlines, 99.9 The Bay, Country 105.3, The Chronicle Journal, The Real Estate News, Dominion Lending Centres and Canadian Tire Thunder Centre for all your help supporting this very worthy cause
In the fall of 2010, the Community of Thunder Bay was added as a new Chapter of the Basketeers program.
Adopting and filling an ordinary Rubbermaid basket with personal and household items may not seem like a big deal but for the group of women living in Women Shelters throughout Ontario this act of kindness and generosity can give them the sense that somebody out there is cheering them on!
Basketeers started with a small group of individuals in the Greater Toronto area who wanted to assist women who were in transition. The group wanted to do something positive and empowering to offer hope and new beginnings for women that were forced to leave their homes due to domestic abuse and violence.
Various Shelters had been saying that it was fairly easy to find groups willing to buy or sponsor Christmas gifts for children, but their mothers were often forgotten.
So in 2000 with a mere 14 baskets, The Basketeers program was launched!
Since the official launch in 2000, the program has grown. Chapters are located in the Greater Toronto area, Stratford, York, Hamilton, Brantford, Ottawa, Guelph, Prince Edward County, Penticton, Durham, Montreal and Thunder Bay!
The issue of family violence is quite significant and with 51% of women* in Canada having experienced at least one incident of physical and/or sexual violence, the need for various types of support is great.
“Statistics tell us that approximately 360,000 children each year* are exposed to domestic violence and that one in two women are murdered by a current or former partner each week in Canada”.
Just think, in the time that it takes you to brew a cup of tea, 3 women will have been assaulted* by their partner! The numbers are staggering and unacceptable!
Basketeers Thunder Bay has partnered with the Royal LePage Shelter Foundation to help assist and support women in their transition.
Last year we had many companies, groups of friends and family pool their funds and adopt one or more baskets. By supporting these women during this transitional period, they will hopefully NOT return to their abuser and as a result, feel stronger for their children.
With the help of some very generous donations and support from the people in our City, the Thunder Bay Basketeers group has been able to raise a total of 208 baskets in the first 4 years of its campaign. That is over $40,000 in items. These baskets were then divided between the two local women shelters, Faye Peterson and Beendigan Inc. This year we are excited to announce we will be adding Hope House managed by Adult and Teen Challenge!
We are encouraging individuals, businesses, groups of friends, churches, and Service Clubs to ADOPT A BASKET
. If you would like to get involved, please call Kaitlin Trevisan
at our Royal LePage Lannon Realty, Brokerage /Dominion Lending Centres office at 623-5011 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org
How Do I Get Started !
1. Register: Go to www,Basketeers.org to register your basket
2. Shop: Buy a basket or Rubbermaid tub. Get your friends, co-workers and friends to help you fill up with NEW household items and care products
3. Build: Include a list of items in the basket so it can be matched to the right woman in need and wrap the basket with care. (cost approx $200-$250)If you are unable to fill a basket on your own, find a friend or colleague who is willing to contribute to the cause. We ask that the basket be wrapped in clear cellophane and topped with a bow!
5. Deliver: Please bring your basket and/or items to Royal LePage Lannon Realty (1141 Barton St.) before our deadline: November 16, 2018 at 9:00am
Choose your Theme! Or Create your Own !
- “Beauty and the Bath”: blow dryer, curling iron, towels, shower curtain, toiletries and slippers
- “Sweet Dreams”: PJ’s, slippers, single sheet set, reading lamp, book, and toiletries
- “Coffee Time”: Coffee maker, kettle, coffee mugs, tea towels, kitchen utensils, fry pan
- “Dress for Success”: Purse, day planner, iron, clock radio, bus tokens, umbrella
- “Kitchen”: Utensils, cook book, kettle, hand mixer, frying pan, baking dishes, spices, glasses
- “Mix it up”: Include a bit of every room
- The possibilities are endless!
Some other ideas for items to be put in are listed below:
||Bed & Bath
|Pots & Pans
||Creams & Lotions
||Grocery store gift card
Note: a clock radio is multi- purpose, one can listen to music, have an alarm to wake up to & it tells the time or an umbrella would make someone smile if it was raining!
Keep in mind it’s the holidays and remember to include something luxurious like a candle, chocolates or bath products as a special personal gift.